Evidently the tail looks like a darning needle.
We get a number of dragon and damselflies in and around our yard each year.
- This dragonfly is typically 1.3 inches in length.
- It is generally found near various forms of wetlands, but will sometimes be seen in meadows and open areas far from water. They are typically observed from late summer to early fall.
- Geographically, the Ruby Meadowhawk's range is from the Great Plains to Maine.
- The head is yellowish-brown, the thorax deep red to brown, and the abdomen is red to brown with dark lateral srtipes.
- They are also characterized by dark legs and wing veins.